Books

Cross Stitch Happy

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tiger and Stitches

BEWARE, long story, no stitching of our kind and photo at end not so pleasant.


I woke up this morning and thought it feels like an off day, something just wasn't right. Took Mom to Tim Horton's for coffee and was thinking about how I was going to spend the day after I took Tiger to Trout Lake. Mom settled that for me, asked if I would drop her off at a friends and pick her up on my way back. No problem. Dropped her off, stopped and bought treats for Tiger, gassed up the car, got to Trout Lake and decided to park in the west parking lot instead of going to the north parking lot (where I usually park), mistake #1. We started walking and as I was nearing the south end of the lake I saw a city truck and a women with 6 dogs. My first instinct was to put Tiger on her leash (this end of the lake is not off leash for dogs) , realized they were just chatting and were not animal control, but park workers, so didn't bother with the leash, mistake #2. As we walked by her 6 dogs "swarmed" Tiger, I got a hold of her collar and pulled her away and walked off. The women did call off her dogs and said she was sorry. I walked a little ways, realized Tiger was out of sorts stopped to hug and pet her, when I then realized she had been bitten on the back. I turned back and in the meantime the women was walking off in the other direction. I walked as fast as I could and started yelling for her to stop as I needed to talk to her. I must have yelled this out about 3 times, saying lady in the black coat with the white dogs, so she would know it was her being asked to stop. By this time I am getting very agitated and will admit I did use the B.... word. I'm sure she did have some female dogs :) She finally stops and turns around and as I am still walking towards her I asked if she would please come here as I needed to talk to her about what happened, she says she doesn't take orders from me. I get to her and show her Tiger's back, she does say she is sorry, but my dog turned on hers first and she has 3 witnesses. Words were exchanged and I went back to the city workers to ask them their version of what happened. Well they saw her dogs go after mine and she immediately put a muzzle on the dog who bit Tiger. I started to go towards the parking lot and see her heading in the same direction and had this awful thought that the van I had parked next to was hers. I thought this as the van had no back seats and was covered in pillows and blankets as was the front seat and filled with "junk". One of the park workers came after me and asked if that women was still here and we kept looking and finally saw her with one dog on a leash going toward the van. Yup it was hers, the other 5 were already in the van. The park worker went up to her and said that she saw her dog go after mine and that she would be responsible for half the vet bill. Long story short, she admitted "one" of her dogs bit mine but she didn't know which one, gave me her first name and phone #, I also took down her plate number. City worker gave me her name and # and advised me to call Animal Control, which I did after I got home from the vet. Something this women said made me think she had problems in the past with her dogs or at least the one. Guess what, she is "known" to animal control. I need to send in a signed statement, have already e-mailed them photos and they will be going to her house to talk to her. So far the vet bill is 468.42, they had to sedate Tiger and put a drain in as when she was bit the dog pulled and there is a pocket that could fill with fluid, she has 5 stitches in her. Decided not to show the close up I sent Animal Control, it is just too awful.

15 comments:

Carmen said...

so sorry tiger,,i hope she is ok and better .

When I was a child, a neighbor had a doberman, abusive, a day that dog escaped with very bad luck, which was in the garden with my dog in his arms, and the doberman pulled my hand and killed him, i hate the dog first, but then I realized that everything was responsible for the owner of the dog, the owners are responsible for what they do their pets, but there are people like the woman owner of the dogs who hurt to tiger,they are irresponsible.

Sally said...

Oh no poor Tiger. I hope she recovers well. That woman sounds like she doesn't deserve to keep dogs.

Pumpkin said...

Oh Irene!!!! HUGE HUGS to you AND Tiger :o( What a crazy woman! Luckily we've never had a problem like that but I'm so glad that you didn't just let it go. She more than deserves to pay the WHOLE vet bill IMHO. Whatever happened to owners are responsible for their own animals????

Give Tiger extra hugs and pats from me and kisses from Brie and Duncan :o)

Anna van Schurman said...

Poor Tiger. Lots of love to your pup.

Dani said...

Hope Tiger heals quickly ... give her some extra love.

stitcherw said...

How awful, Tiger looks so pitiful there. Glad to see your posting on the board that he's starting to do better. Good luck keeping him quiet until he's totally healed.
Sue

Nancy in IL said...

Ohhhh.... Irene! I'm sooo sorry about your sweet little Tiger. I have a deep soft spot for animals of nearly any kind, but this woman is cruel to animals to allow this to happen. Hugs and sloppy doggy kisses to you both, and I hope this woman is brought to justice so that it doesn't happen to anyone else. I'm so sorry about the horrific bill too, but you're like me; you'd go the bank to get a loan for your furbaby. However, the woman should be made to pay her half.

Sharon said...

I am so sorry to read that this happened to your poor dog Tiger. how awful. All them dogs thank goodness you were not biten as well. Please give Tiger a hug for me.

Leeland said...

Oh no! Poor Tiger! This is crazy!!! I just hope Tiger recovers fine and that the two of you are not too traumatized after that...
Take care,
Lili

Valerie said...

Awwww, your poor baby!! I hope Tiger is doing better.

anna s. said...

SO terrible to hear. I had my late german sheperd Samba bit in a bad way in her ear by a dog but was afraid (and much much younger, this is my excuse) to even talk to the person the next time I saw him, as he was kicking the dog. I knew he would threaten me if I tried to get any money from him for Samba's painful ear treatment. Give Tiger a big hug from me... poor thing!

Mel said...

Poor Tiger. that is so awful. I hope the woman who's dog is responsible doesn't cause you much more grief.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

That poor baby... hope she gets better soon.

Carol said...

Oh Irene - I am so sorry to hear about your little girl. I hope she is starting to get better now...

Wanda said...

Terrible woman I hope by now your Tiger is on the mend and will be all right.