Books

Cross Stitch Happy

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

In Feb. 2000 a girl at my work asked if anyone wanted some Love Birds. I said sure I will take 2, my Dad had always talked about getting a pair. I asked her to bring them in on Feb. 14 (Dad's birthday) as this would be the perfect gift. Imagine my surprise when she comes in with a couple of finches. Her family were calling them love birds as they bred like rabbits :) Needless to say Dad laughed and off we went to the pet store and bought two Love Birds, naming them Sonny and Cher. Shortly after midnight New Year's Eve I happened to look in their cage and Cher had passed. Sonny was broken hearted, he started sticking his head out the bars of his cage begging for affection. If we let him out he would come and sit on our head or shoulder, like always, but now was pecking to the point of biting. He truly missed his mate. A friend had an extra Love Bird, who she said needed a mate, so Sumas came to join Sonny 2 weeks ago and they are very happy together. Sumas is a baby, 2 or 3 years old and a bit smaller than Sonny, but they are Love Birds, which says it all.

3 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a lovely story! We have a pair of parkeets and their happy chirping always brightens my days :)

Pumpkin said...

That's adorable Irene! How nice for Sunny :o)

We used to have one and he HATED DH ;o)

stitcherw said...

So glad you found a friend for Sunny, Sumas sounds like just what he needed. I think most pets really do seem to do better and be happier when they have a buddy to spend their time with.
Sue