Books

Cross Stitch Happy

Monday, January 17, 2011

Reading or Stitching

I love to read, at least I used to all the time. When I worked full time (7 years ago) most lunch breaks you would find me with a book. I could have spent all my time reading. I did stitch, one project at a time and usually a large one, like L&L angels. Then when I retired somehow both those hobbies took a back seat. I guess helping Mom look after my Dad was more time consuming than I remember.

I got back into stitching and discovered all these new designers whose patterns I fell in love with and started stitching and stitching and, well lets just say it has taken over, but I don't mind in the least. Just wish I could stitch as fast as they design.

Then I bought an e-book (Sony) and as I didn't have anything to compare it with, thought it worked fine and didn't think too much about the fact that one page could be 4 lines and the next a full page. Not only was I helping to save trees, I was saving money by borrowing from the library without having to leave home. Only I still did not read like I used to, but at least I was reading a few books a year, probably what most of you read in a month.

A few months ago I bought an iPad. You need an app for something, they most likely have it. There's ebooks and ibooks and I'm sure others. Well I finally figured out how to get books I already have onto ibooks and am impressed with it. Every page is full and it never stalls (at times the Sony would freeze up). In the last 2 days I have read 1 book and started another. Okay they are not intense or huge books, but hey this is a start back into a hobby I once thought I couldn't live without.

The books are by an author I had never heard of, Gayle Trent . Murder Takes the Cake was so good I had to start Dead Pan right away. She has also written 2 books under the pseudonym Amanda Lee. These 4 books is all she has written, I do hope she continues the series with them.

So if you like cozy murder mysteries, you will most likely like these.

Now, the question is do I go stitch or read ?????

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh the dilemma, Irene! I know what you mean. Sometimes I find great books all at once and I get onto a reading binge. It's "really tough" making a choice!

Danielle said...

Oh, the iPad is fab to read on, isn't it!! I will read a little and then stitch. Usually I stitch at night while watching tv and then will readnfor an hour once I get in bed. Thanks for the book suggestion. I am always on the lookout for a good book.

Shelleen said...

I love to read and stitch so I listen to my books on audiobook while stitching.

Deborah said...

I like to stitch while listening to my kindle. Best of both worlds.

Pumpkin said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying reading again. I always like to have a book handy but can't picture myself using one of those pads to read. I know it would be good for the environment but I would miss feeling the pages between my fingers :o)

mumzy said...

I, like Cathey, cannot picture myself using an IPad. My friend has one and she too swears by it. I do love reading though.

the striped rose said...

That is my trouble to! I like to stitch while listening to audio books. I am listening to Moby Dick right now. I could NEVER have stuck with that book if I didn't have something to do while listening! ;)

Angela said...

I can completely relate....reading was one of my passions too but I haven't been able to pick up a book in just over a year that has my interest. I work in the Library too so I feel I should know something about the books but stitching has just completely taken over my life right now! LOL, maybe one day I can get back into it again!