Books

Cross Stitch Happy

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Introducing Winnie


Sumas (red head) and Winnie
Some of you may remember my posting of Valentines last year where I told you the story of our Lovebirds. Well, it has happened again. Last Jan. 29th Sonny passed away. They were both fine in the morning and that night he was gone. In hindsight, he was not the same, didn't fly around the house like he used to, wouldn't come on our shoulder even if asked to. He was around 10 years old, so he had a long life. In the middle of that night and the next morning Sumas shook the cage so hard you would think someone was trying to break the door down. Mom put his toy Winnie in that came with him and he settled right down. Would sit next to it, chirp at it, even poke him around. But still, we did not think he was happy. So off to the pet store yesterday and we bought another one. He is named after the toy and is a little over six months old. Who ever said "all" lovebirds get along has not met these two. I know it's only been a day, but hey when Sumas came Sonny said "Welcome mate" and they got along immediately. Sumas does not like Winnie, I have seen him grab at his claws, push him away from the food dish and just plain be mean. If they sit next to each other it is by accident and doesn't last long. Sumas is more tolerant than when I first put Winnie in the cage, so I'm hoping it will just take some time or as Mom says "Maybe they don't speak the same language."
I stuck my hand inside the cage and managed to get this picture of them together, a little dark and yes that is snow you see outside, we had a bit of a storm yesterday. This is the toy "Winnie".

8 comments:

Olga said...

Irene,
What a sad story... Maybe they need some time to get know each other?
Hugs.

mumzy said...

They are beautiful birds and I did not realize that some birds don't get along. Eventually, they may settle down when they get used to one another. Good luck!

anna s. said...

Is there any chance you could ask the store to "exchange" the birdie? I know it sounds terrible but if they don't get along after a long time... On the other hand, if they don't do harm to each other... :)
Somehow I forgot you had birds! I love birds... Had many canaries and others long ago... but then dogs came into my life and I couldn't expose a bird to the danger of flying around with a dog that would go nuts about it... I know some tolerate it, my German sheperd didn't. But I swear I'll have birds again one day. Only, what will Toska-the-devil-cat say... :) I can only have birds if I can let them be free in the apartment, not all the time in the cage. They become real friends.. Lucky you!!
Oh, and I ADORE your St. Valentines pillow... so beautiful! I'll get that chart for next year :)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh dear....fighting Love Birds :(
Perhaps it will just take a few days before Winnie relaizes that Sumas is the dominant bird? Who knows...I'm sure things will even out - a similar situation happened to us when we introduced a new parakeet. About of week of being nasty and then it all resolved.
GOOD LUCK...they are such pretty birds!

Pumpkin said...

Not again :o( Is 10 old for a lovebird?

Hopefully they will settle down soon. Maybe Sumas has been living alone for just too long and is set in his ways now ;o) Maybe he's just showing Winnie who's boss. LOL!

We used to have a lovebird that I named Bic. He was obsessed with me but hated DH! LOL!

Sharon said...

Oh, I hope they will learn to get along. They are pretty.

Jean said...

I hope things work out for the birds! It's really hard to watch animals not get along - especially birds who share an enclosed space. Are there any hints online to help the transition?

We added a cat to the house and the "only cat" did NOT like to share us or the house - totally terrorized the other cat. It took a year before they could even be in the same room. It was a tough year! Hope you have as good results as we did.

We also had parakeets and the first pair was delightful together. The second two had their moments - one was really bossy and pecky but the other one "learned who was boss" fast and just gave the meanie her way! :)

Craft-i-leigh said...

OMG, that is so sad. I'm sorry for the loss of your feathered baby. Pets are wonderful parts of our families!
I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs, (2nd or 3rd time stopping by yours) to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!